The Region of Durham is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within its community and organization, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons who live with disabilities, people from 2SLGBTQI+ communities and people from diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.
Reporting to the Clinical Program Manager, Oral Health Division (OHD), the Clinical Dentist is responsible for providing clinical dental services to clients who are eligible to receive care through provincially and regionally funded dental programs in the Durham Region Oral Health Clinic. The incumbent will:
– Provide general dental clinical care that includes but is not limited to examinations, exposure of radiographs, direct restorations, crowns, root canals, simple and surgical extractions and denture care
– Be comfortable treating patients who present with complex medical histories, disabilities, or behavioural problems
– Be comfortable dealing with emergency dental conditions and providing urgent care as required
– Act as the team leader in the clinical setting, which includes ensuring effective teamwork, open communication, and efficient flow of patients
– Monitor, model and perform best practices for infection prevention and control in the division
– Work in a collegial manner with the other dentists to ensure access to care in a seamless manner
– Resolve conflicts with staff, patients, and members of the public when necessary
– Educate the public on oral health and Public Health dental program policies and guidelines
– Represent the Division in the community and on interdisciplinary committees of the Health Department
– Participate in the review and revision of existing policies and procedures pertaining to the clinical operation and assist with enforcing regional/departmental polices or creating and implementing new policies as required
– Support Human Resources management by enforcing Regional, Departmental and Division policies and practices
– Adhere to and support corporate occupational health and safety policies, programs and directives
The successful applicant will possess:
– A Degree in Dentistry from an accredited or recognized Faculty of Dentistry
– A certificate to practice dentistry in Ontario, from the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (certification in good standing must be maintained throughout employment)
– A minimum of 2 years’ practice experience, preference will be given to candidates who have dental public health or hospital experience treating patients with urgent needs
– Knowledge of and experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access or other databases
– Demonstrated knowledge of Ontario Public Health Standards and an understanding of practice within a public setting
– Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
– Proven customer service skills and the ability to work effectively with diverse and various stakeholders
– Demonstrated leadership skills coupled with the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team with minimal
– Empathy and sensitivity to the needs of the target population
– An understanding of privacy laws and issues pertaining to informed consent
– The ability to adapt and respond to a changing environment
– Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s Licence and use of a vehicle
Multilingualism would be considered an asset.
Prior to the start date, the successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check dated within two (2) months from date of hire. Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will also be collected.
In addition, all Region of Durham employees must be fully vaccinated upon hire to meet the Region’s Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. As required, exemptions will comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
How to Apply
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants;
however, only those being considered will be contacted.
Please apply online (www.durham.ca) no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Standard Time) on September 22, 2022.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance
pursuant to the Region’s Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.