In Canada, every November 11 we take a moment to observe Remembrance Day. This is a time for us to appreciate the members of the Canadian Armed Forces who sacrificed their lives for our country and those who continue to serve. ODA dentists have long had a role in supporting the military dating back to the First World War.
First World War
When the war started in 1914, many members of the Ontario Dental Society (what the ODA was known as at the time) enlisted in the Canadian Medical Corps. In 1915, ODS members Edmund Grant, Richard Hull, Orvil Elliott and George Gow did their part in the war when they launched and operate a dental clinic for recruits. This clinic, located on the Canadian National Exhibition grounds, was open seven days a week and played an important role in restoring the teeth and oral health of Canada’s soldiers.
Second World War
At an ODA meeting in May 1940, it was announced that dentistry’s contribution to the war effort would be to supply men to staff the Canadian Dental Corps. Then-ODA President Dr. George V. Morton called for a “sacrifice for the common good” and hoped to inspire members to enlist and join the fight. Many of the ODA’s most experienced members joined the armed forces. By that time, there were 24 dental companies made up of 24 officers and 80 men.
Today, there are dental clinics in Canadian Armed Forces centres across the country, which offer regular dental treatment and in some places, oral surgery, periodontal and prosthodontic specialist treatment.
At the ODA, we honour all our service members, present and past, and thank them for their duty and sacrifice.
Learn more about the history of the ODA.